I've wanted to learn more about the oils I am using. I have been doing a number of courses and workshops lately, learning to use essential oils safely in yoga, around pets and in our home. This has prompted me to want to delve deeper into the individual oils I use. I'm compiling a list of all the oils I've heard people say that they were loving and that I love, and I am going to study and bring you some information about each one of them. I hope to bring you a new oil each week. If I can do that for a year, we will all know much more about fifty two essential oils and their benefits over the next year! For Week 4 I've chosen Lemon. Find out some great ways to use Lemon in your everyday life
- Add Lemon Essential Oil to your skincare products to reduce the appearance of blemishes *
- Add to conditioner and DIY hair masques to give your hair a smoother, shinier look (used carefully lemon essential oil can be used to aid natural hair highlights in summer)
- Apply diluted to chakras and / or Vita Flex points
- Cheerful, sweet aroma
- Promotes clarity of thought and purpose
- When you want to boost your home cleaning with the cheerful scent of fresh Lemons, add a few drops to naturally derived floor, window, and surface cleaning solutions. Do not use Lemon oil on granite or stone, as it may etch the surface
- Keep your carpet or rug smelling fresh with Lemon essential oil added to baking soda. Sprinkle the mixture into the carpet, let it sit for at least 15 minutes, and then vacuum it up
- Freshen your rubbish bins with Lemon essential oil sprinkled into baking soda. Shake mixture into the bottom of the bins and refresh as needed
- Add to a tall glass of cold water for a fresh drink to start your day.
- Create custom vinaigrettes or marinades to add a bright taste to summer salads and grilling.
- Add it to tea, baked goods, homemade preserves and other treats.
- Add 1 drop in plain or vanilla yogurt. Top with fresh berries.
- Combine with savoury foods such as chicken, fish, shrimp, and vegetables and with sides such as noodles, rice or pasta salad.
- Remove burnt food from pots and pans by putting a few drops of Lemon in boiling water.
|Lemon Coconut Biscuits||Bruschetta Infused with Lemon and Basil Oil||Date and Apricot Bliss Balls with Chia Seeds||Lemon-Lime Ice Cubes|
When to Diffuse:
- When you want to fill the kitchen with a dose of Lemon’s familiar lemon-drop aroma and take clean to a whole new level
- When you want to banish everyday odours in your living room or family room combine Lemon with other purifying scents such as Pine, Grapefruit, or Peppermint.
- When you want to create an aromatic, clean smelling and positive environment, diffuse Lemon alone or with other citrus and crisp-smelling oils such as Tangerine, Grapefruit, Orange, Bergamot, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Tarragon, and Eucalyptus Radiata
- When you want a sense of focus and motivation, diffuse it at work or school for a bright aroma
- When you want a fresh smelling bathroom
- 4 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 3 drops Lemon essential oil
- 3 drops Basil essential oil
- 4 drops Lemon essential oil
- 4 drops Stress Away essential oil blend
- 2 drops Lemongrass essential oil
Fresh Start Blend
- 3 drops Orange
- 2 drops Lemon
- 3 drops Grapefruit
Did You Know?
- Originally from regions in Asia, the lemon tree wasn’t common in Europe until the 16th century. It is a part of the evergreen family and reaches a height of about 6 metres. From those trees, 75 lemons are required to make one 15-ml bottle of Lemon essential oil. This is accomplished by cold pressing the rinds of the lemons, producing an oil with the aroma of the freshly picked fruit.
- * Citrus oils are phototoxic. You should always dilute before applying topically and avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying
- Scientific name: Citrus limon
- Botanical family: Rutaceae
- Region(s) grown: Argentina, California, South Africa, Italy, Asia
- Plant part used: Rind
- Extraction method: Cold pressed
- YL Region: Most Young Living Lemon essential oil comes from Argentina and South Africa
- Please note that most of the information here can be found on the Young Living website or comes from my own experience
- Not all essential oils are of the same quality. I would only use Young Living oils, especially if using in cooking as suggested above
- Please contact me if you would like any further information on essential oils or to find out why I would only recommend Young Living essential oils
- Member No: 19593932